I had imagined all manners of extravagance for my first World Nutella Day offering, and even though what I have cooked up today is rather simple, it is in no way plain in flavour. And quite frankly, if this is the sort of breakfast one wakes up to everyday, perhaps even the late risers would pull in a little more effort to wake up early, if only to ensure they get their fair share.
Nutella has a fairly distinct flavour on its own, I think. And although my previous post contains too little Nutella to qualify it for World Nutella Day, the Nutella taste still reverberates especially when you bite in the middle portion. For this muffin, the oats, bananas and Nutella work so well together that these different flavours can’t help but tickle the tastebuds.
If you’re a big fan of the spread, aside from having it mixed into the muffin batter, you can also spread it as a topping, or you know, slather it on as you eat the muffin for an extra dose of hazelnut-chocolate flavour.
If you look at it carefully, these muffins are actually filled with some breakfast staples such as oats and bananas, making for a fairly well-rounded breakfast delight. The addition of Nutella gives a new twist to what would have been a fairly common breakfast flavour combination. The muffins are ever so fragrant because of the bananas, with a slightly firm chewiness coming from the oats, tied together by the burst of sweet Nutella flavour.
Banana Nutella Oat Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour *
- 1 cup oat bran or quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup banana, mashed (about 2 medium bananas)
- 6 tablespoons Nutella
- 1 cup buttermilk **
- Nutella, additional for filling and/or topping
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, bran (or oats), cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs, mashed banana, Nutella and buttermilk until very smooth, making sure all the eggs have been well-incorporated.
- 4. Pour into flour mixture. Stir just until no streaks of flour remain and mixture remains slightly lumpy.
- 5. Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin tin, filling each just about up to the top. (If desired, add 1 to 2 teaspoons Nutella to each muffin cup and swirl in with a toothpick.)
- 6. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed.
- 7. Remove muffins from tin and cool on a wire rack before serving. Store in an airtight container when cool. Top and/or serve with additional Nutella.
You can check out this site to see other bloggers who are celebrating World Nutella Day too! 🙂