Let these Mocha Oatmeal Muffins greet you a good morning. Packed with the scent and taste of coffee and chocolate that wakes up the senses!
I can’t really remember the last time I made muffins, but if there is one recipe that feels like a perfect welcome back to it, it’s this one for Mocha Oatmeal Muffins. Chocolate plus coffee is probably one of the best combinations to wake up to, especially for me since these are two of my favorite things in life. These are two things I must have to make my day feel complete, coffee especially, so I bet you all have an idea how I feel about these muffins.
Normally, I like having savory toasts or sandwiches for breakfast just because I am not a big sweets person, but occasionally I feel indulgent and bust out the cereals and the freshly-baked muffins. I am very picky about it though, and I must say, these Mocha Oatmeal Muffins are a great choice.
I really love these Mocha Oatmeal Muffins from Damn Delicious. They’re very simple but super satisfying. Packed with oats, they can be quite filling. The scent and flavor of coffee is so nice in these muffins; granted I did use some good coffee for this recipe. The coffee taste threads nicely into the light chocolate flavor. Each time you tear into these soft and fluffy muffins, a great scent wafts out from the center. It’s like a cloud of coffee with a dark roasted underlayer of chocolate.
Because these Mocha Oatmeal Muffins are as easy as most muffin recipes out there, I only have a few things to mention in this section. First of all, you have to use good quality coffee. For the batter, use a strong black coffee you actually like to drink. The topping makes use of instant coffee powder. Since you will definitely be able to taste that coffee there, make sure you use a brand that you also like to drink.
I don’t know if it’s realistic to expect one household to have both coffee beans and instant coffee powder in the pantry, but we do here at home so it wasn’t hard for me to get all my ingredients together. Likewise, you should use good cocoa powder as well. Remember that these two are the main flavors of the muffins, so don’t be too stingy with what you use here.
At the part where you mix the wet ingredients into the dry, it’s super important to AVOID OVERMIXING THE BATTER. A few additional strokes can make the difference between a fluffy crumb and a rubbery one. This is always the case for almost all muffin recipes out there. You can stop mixing even when there are still splotches of flour left in the batter; being done in a matter of seconds. The ideal muffin batter is a thick and lumpy one.
Once you’ve got that down, just transfer the batter to your muffin tin and sprinkle the toppings on top. You may want to lightly press the toppings into the batter just to make sure all that adheres to the top once the Mocha Oatmeal Muffins are baked. As always, just stick a toothpick into the center to check if it’s ready to come out of the oven.
These muffins should come out nice and fluffy, smelling and tasting wonderfully like the chocolate mocha drink from your favorite coffee shop. The original recipe states that the topping should come out crunchy, however mine melted right into the muffin top and I liked that. I feel that this helped make the coffee and chocolate flavors stronger.
Gosh, I can still imagine the smell of these Mocha Oatmeal Muffins as I scroll through the photos! I hope you try these out and enjoy. 🙂
Mocha Oatmeal Muffins
Dry ingredients for the muffins
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup old-fashioned oats
- 2½ Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Wet ingredients for the muffins
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup cooled strong coffee
- ¼ cup ½ stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the mocha sugar topping
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon turbinado or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso powder
Make the muffins
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients for the muffins.
- 3. In a large glass measuring cup or another smaller bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients for the muffins until well combined.
- 4. Pour wet mixture over the dry mixture. Using a rubber spatula, mix just until moist. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin.
Make the mocha sugar topping
- 5. In a small bowl, whisk together the oats, sugar, cocoa, and instant coffee powder.
- 6. Sprinkle this topping on top of the muffin batter. Using your fingertips, gently press the crumbs into the batter.
- 7. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of the muffins come out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy warm.